A few months ago Ghost was introduced. After playing around a bit with it I really got hooked on the editor.
Writing large texts in the TinyMCE WordPress Editor is often exhausting and time consuming. The writing flow often gets disrupted by formatting or checking the preview. And it seemes like the Ghost editor solved exactly these problems by using Markdown to format the text and a live preview.
I really wanted to have something like this for WordPress and so I began to code an Editor for replacement. The result is called Splitdown.
Based on Showdown.js the HTML gets rendered on the right side as you type on the left.
After activating the plugin you have to select the post type/s in which you want to use Splitdown in the “Writing” settings.
Splitdown is based on Showdown.js and is open source. At the moment Splitdown is in a proof of concept state but usable. For bug reports, feature requests or contributions please use the github repository. Here you can download the ZIP file directly.
What do you think about a markdown editor for WordPress?
All Adventskalender Posts
- Adventskalender Day 24 – Merry Christmas
- Adventskalender Day 23 – How to update custom fields in a multi-site
- Adventskalender Day 22 – We celebrate 1 Mio downloads of BackWPup with a new release and 33% off till NYE!
- Adventskalender Day 21 – Mini-Plugin: The Learning WordPress Blacklist Plugin
- Adventskalender Day 20 – How can I teach Languages to a WordPress Theme?
- Adventskalender Day 19 – „One Installation to rule them all“ – Multisite and Multi-Client in WordPress
- Adventskalender Day 18 – Amazing cool WordPress Wallpapers
- Adventskalender Day 17 – Enable WordPress Must Use Plugins in Subdirectories
- Adventskalender Day 16 – Front End Editing with WordPress 3.8
- Adventskalender Day 15 – Powersale: WooCommerce German Market + WooCommerce Role Based Prices (30% Off)
- Adventskalender Day 14 – Trello – About Project Management and its Tools
- Adventskalender Day 13 – Ghost – How-To Build a Most Basic Theme
- Adventskalender Day 12 – Don`t panic! WordPress and Site Adress explained
- Adventskalender Day 11 – GitHub: The only digital Social Network…
- Adventskalender Day 10 – Prevent Recursion in Hooks
- Adventskalender Day 9 – Brackets – The better Code Editor
- Adventskalender Day 8 – WooCommerce Shop and Blog Theme Hamburg (30% Off)
- Adventskalender Day 7 – Mini-Plugin: Blocking Known Spam-IPs in WordPress
- Adventskalender Day 6 – Splitdown- A Ghost like Editor for WordPress
- Adventskalender Day 5 – Change WordPress Dashboard Title
- Adventskalender Day 4 – Helper for Theme Development: Template Name in WordPress Admin Bar
- Adventskalender Day 3 – Fun with SQL: Examining Comments
- Adventskalender Day 2 – PHP Debugging in Browser Console
- Adventskalender Day 1 – Different Prices for Different Roles with WooCommerce Role Based Prices (30% Off)