Is there a maximum size for WooCommerce shops?

28. October 2013 // by Manuel Schmutte // in Plugins, WooCommerce // 8 Comments

WooCommercePoll
Searching for a free, self-hosted and open source shopping system, we will find names like Magento, oscommerce or OpenCart. Can the free WordPress plugin WooCommerce compete? Or is it made for small shops only?

We can answer this question from different points of view:

• How expensive are installation and maintenance?
  • How active is the software development?
  • Can I meet all legal requirements?
  • Which payment gateways can I use?

We will answer these questions in future posts. Today, we want to know if anybody actually has tried to use WooCommerce for a shop with many products. I have set up a survey about that question some weeks ago.

The survey

I shared the survey on Twitter, and @WooThemes re-shared it, so it reached a wider audience. Result: 37 participants and more than 850 views. The high number of non-voters speaks for a high interest on this topic.

How many products do you offer in your WooCommerce shop?

There were 7 selection options, I haven chosen smaller steps for the lower levels. Because for me, a shop with more than 250 different products is a large shop.

The surprising results

Honestly, I guessed that about 75% would vote for less than 100 products. But the evaluation shows an other result:

• Most participants (57%) use their shop for more than 100 products.
  • 40% offer more than 250 products.
  • And 11% of all voters uses WooCommerce for shops with more than 1000 products.

How many products do you offer in your WooCommerce shop?-4

Shop Examples

Of course, I searched for WooCommerce in the wild and found some small shops and a Case-Study-Site at WooThemes. But also a reeeeeeeeeeeally huge one: With more than 25.000 articles in the range of products, the online record store www.soulbrother.com should be one of the largest.

Soul Brother Records - Soulbrother.com-1

Conclusion

For me, the allure of WooCommerce is the simplicity of extending your existing WordPress by installing the plugin. You stay in your well known back-end, and the usability stays the same. It stays intuitive, because WooCommerce is build very similar to WordPress itself. And the initialization is surprisingly low, compared to shop systems à la Magento or Oxid. So it is perfect as a online business presence with integrated shop.

Ideas?

In the future we are planning to collect and show you some well done WooCommerce shops. If you find one or built one by yourself, send me a message!
And if you have any (WooCommerce) topics we should take a look on: send us an email to editor@marketpress.com, and we will try to write something about it.

Related posts

WooCommerce Role Based Prices 1.1 – Different customers, different prices

Welcome Hamburg! Meet our new responsive WordPress theme for online stores and blogs

WooCommerce German Market

About the Author Manuel Schmutte

WordPress-Evangelist, Communicator & Marketing-Dude at Inpsyde, MarketPress and WordPress Deutschland

6 Trackbacks

1. What we learned at WordCamp Boston 2013 am November 2, 2013
  2. Jak duży może być sklep działający na WooCommerce? am November 1, 2013
  3. Editorially gets support for exporting to WordPress am November 1, 2013
  4. How big can a WooCommerce store be? am November 1, 2013
  5. Weekly Round Up #2 - htmelted am October 31, 2013
  6. Wady WooCommerce i jak je zminimalizować, bądź wyeliminować am January 27, 2014

8 comments to “Is there a maximum size for WooCommerce shops?

1. chris dohman
    October 31, 2013 um 12:53 am

i would be really interested to see the transaction volume these shops are doing. and to go further, what their server config is.

2. Shawn
    October 31, 2013 um 2:30 am

Nice post Manuel!

I have a nice well done WooCommerce shop, I didnt find a way to email you it so I will post it here.

I built it (no design…)

If its a violation of this site`s policy please remove it.

3. Scott Griffiths
    October 31, 2013 um 12:15 pm

I’m just starting to build a new WooCommerce site that will launch with 200,000 products and will grow within 6 months to up to 2,000,000 products.

We investigated and found there to be no real upper limit, just the server performance. That’s why we are hosting the project with WPEngine.com

The site is a catalogue only with no ecommerce transactions, but even so WooCommerce was still the obvoius platform for us to choose.

4. Brandon
    October 31, 2013 um 4:06 pm

I have tried most of the main shopping carts for the past 6 years. Some are good some are garbage but we came across WooCommerce about 18 months ago and now we use Woo as our primary shopping cart when creating new sites.

The main reason I prefer to use WordPress with WooCommerce is because it allows us to keep the WordPress platform for our other non shopping cart pages.

What I really enjoy about Woo is how customizable it is.

5. Brent Shepherd
    October 31, 2013 um 6:15 pm

Thanks for doing this survey Manuel. I’ve seen the question quite a lot so it’s great to start to get some data around it.

As larger sites start using WooCommerce, topics like scaling WooCommerce will be increasingly popular too.

6. Charles
    November 5, 2013 um 6:20 am

When it works, I absolutely love woocommerce.

Unfortunately, without any changes, my shopping cart will deny orders at least once a month.

It requires me resetting all plugins, rebooting, and woothemes has yet to help me out with this.

7. Dan
    December 31, 2013 um 7:23 pm

Great list Manuel, the trouble is finding out the traffic and transaction volume these sites are doing, something that they’re often not keen to divulge. We’ve just taken a look at 5 pretty high profile WooCommerce stores, you can read it here.

8. Prashant
    March 2, 2014 um 5:08 am

We have successfully created a woocommerce store with 1,50,000 products. Technical details on how we accomplished it is available on our blog post at